Although there are plenty of car buffs in National City, CA, you don’t have to know your way around an engine to save on car maintenance. From DIY car-cleaning to battery upkeep, doing it yourself is easier than you might think. Try these simple, affordable tips from Stor’em Self Storage to keep your vehicle humming.
Tips for Quick and Easy Car Care
- Keep it clean. Washing and waxing your own car can save a lot of money, both on services and maintaining your car’s value. For best results, use a cleaning solution designed specifically for cars. Use liquid wax every two to three months; spray wax is best for weekly use. Microfiber cloths perform better than old t-shirts.
- Go stain-free. Improve the look of your car’s interior and help preserve its value by removing upholstery stains. As soon as a spill happens, blot it with cold water. Test a cleaner on an inconspicuous spot; less-expensive spray cleaners are fine. After it dries, apply Scotchgard to prevent future stains. Storage units offer an out-of-the-way yet accessible place to stash upholstery cleaners and car-wash products.
- Play it safe. Keep your windshield clean and your blades ready for all kinds of weather by replacing worn wiper blades. Check your owner’s manual for any special instructions, and consult the directions on the product packaging before changing out your blades.
- Seal it up. Tighten loose weather strips to seal doors against the elements. The solution is usually as simple as pushing down the clips holding the strip into place. If that doesn’t work, head to the auto parts store for a tube of adhesive designed for vehicle weather strips.
- Make a connection. Routine battery maintenance helps ensure a stable connection every time. Buy a product formulated specifically for the job, or opt for DIY options like cola or baking soda and water.
Here’s how you can clean your battery connections:
- Starting with the negative cable, remove the battery cables (a flat-head screwdriver can loosen tight terminals).
- Using plenty of cleaning solution, clean the battery posts with a wire brush.
- Rinse off the cleaner with water.
- Dry the battery posts with rags.
- Replace the battery terminals.
Get Going with Self Storage
Now that you’re on your way to saving money on car maintenance, you’ll need a place to store your tools and supplies. Contact Stor’em Self Storage in National City, CA to find the best deals on conveniently located storage units to fit your storage needs.